It's officially Fall and this is the only time of year that apples are harvested. I took a little trip to the country and stopped by The Milk Pail. They had rows and rows of apples, 26 varieties to be exact. They have only one massive sized bag for you to fill and it costs $45. They tell you which are good for eating and which are good for baking and then you get at picking.
After filling the bag to the max I needed to figure out what to do with all of them. I decided to make 2 apple pies. Supposedly the crust is a very difficult thing to make, I guess the excessive amount of butter made it form easily. This is how they turned out ;)
For a healthier option I found you can make an almond pie crust. It is Paleo, gluten and sugar free. The crust is made with a mix of almond meal and whole cashews nuts. The secret for this nontraditional pie crust is to use plastic wrap to avoid the crust to fall apart when rolling.
Healthy Apple Pie Crust
- 1 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Cup whole unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 Whole egg
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
- 1 Tsp Stevia Powder
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Cinnamon Powder
- Pour the ingredients in a stand mixer
- Mix for 1 minute until it forms a ball.
- Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap
- Roll until thin (about 2 or 3 mm thick)
- Remove the first plastic wrap layer and flip onto a greased pie dish (coconut oil is good)